Electricity is an essential part of a modern household that supports many everyday activities. However, your electrical system could pose hazards for you and your family. Therefore, learning the dangers lurking in your home can help you act fast during an accident. Here are tips for dealing with different electrical emergencies in your home.

What to Do After a Power Outage

While a power outage is not as severe as an electric shock or fire, it can be frustrating and typically requires immediate action. A power outage can occur due to a fault in the grid line, unfavorable weather, or an issue with your home’s electrical system.

Regardless of the cause of the outage, it can be dangerous for your electronics. If there are too many appliances on the circuit, it can trigger an overload when the power supply is restored. A lightning strike on the power line triggers a spike in current that could cause a circuit overload.

Immediately after the outage, switch off all the appliances and lights. You can leave one lamp on so you know when the lights are back. Our electrical team recommends installing a surge protector to protect your expensive appliances from voltage spikes.

If you frequently experience outages, put together an emergency kit. The kit may consist of a flashlight, battery-powered radio, and mobile phone charging station. A charging station will facilitate communications when there is an emergency.

Also, consider installing a generator for your home office and critical appliances. It can ensure safety systems are working during an outage. You can count on Arc Angel Electric‘s electrical team for dependable generator installations in Cumming.

Responding to an Electrical Shock

An electric shock can occur due to lightning strikes, frayed wires, and defective extension cords. Pools of water and faulty appliances can also increase the risk of electrocution. Your body conducts electricity, and contact with a live wire can lead to heart complications, burns, and internal tissue injuries.

If a high voltage outlet or wire is the source of electrocution, maintain a distance of 20 feet from the site. Do not touch someone exposed to electric shock. First, switch off the electrical supply from the panel for safety.

If you can get to the breaker panel, use a non-conducting material to cut contact to the electric source. It could be a wooden rod or a PVC pipe, as long as it is not damp. You can attempt a CPR procedure after calling emergency services for an ambulance.

Pools of water can increase the risk of electrocution in the bathroom and kitchen. The best way to prevent an electric shock is to use a GFCI outlet. Regulations require GFCI devices in places where water can pose an electrocution hazard.

A GFCI device constantly monitors the electrical system for a ground fault. A ground fault happens when electricity takes the shorter path to the earth.

A GFCI outlet will detect a current leakage and shut off the power supply. GFCI devices can monitor for the slightest changes in electric charge and respond faster than fuses or circuit breakers. Contact Arc Angel Electric‘s licensed electricians for GFCI outlet installations to keep your home safe in Cumming.

Dealing With an Electrical Fire Emergency

Faults in your electrical system can rapidly start a fire. Frayed wiring can short circuit and melt the insulation, placing your home at risk.

Regardless of the source of the fire, the first step is to switch off the power supply at the breaker box. If an appliance is on fire, don’t touch it even when it is off. Live wires in contact with the electronics’ outer casing or metallic parts can also cause a shock.

Immediately putting the fire out can prevent it from spreading throughout your home. You can use a Class A (water-based) extinguisher if you’re sure the power is off. But a Class C extinguisher is ideal for all situations, especially if there is a risk of electric shock.

According to statistics, 65% of residential fires occur in homes without a smoke detector. Ensure your home has a working smoke detector and schedule an inspection for your electrical and safety systems.

Frequently Tripping Circuit Breaker

A circuit breaker tripping occasionally is usually nothing to worry about. However, if the breaker trips multiple times, it could signal a ground fault or short circuit. The breaker may cut off power as soon as you switch it back on.

A circuit overload is one of the most common reasons for tripping circuit breakers. Too many appliances in an outlet draw more power than the electrical system can supply. The breaker disrupts the current to prevent a fire.

Troubleshoot your electrical system by unplugging some appliances from the circuit. The breaker may trip due to a fault or short circuit in the equipment. Watch out for discolored or warm outlets, which indicates an imminent arc fault.

Rather than use extension cords, consider upgrading your electrical system. Additional outlets can reduce the load on your electrical system and keep your property safe from hazards.

Defects in the Electrical Panel

An electrical emergency can also arise from the circuit breaker. A burning smell within the electrical panel could be the wiring insulation melting due to overheating. Also, watch out for scorch marks and corrosion around the breaker panel.

Another sign is a circuit breaker that does not remain reset. The device may keep turning off soon after turning the switch on. It can happen if the circuit breaker is close to the end of its life.

The lifespan of an electrical panel is approximately 10 years. Faults within the circuit breaker can trigger high voltage arcing that could be a danger to your home. Therefore, you should schedule an inspection if you haven’t done so in the last 10 years.

If you spot defects and corrosion on the electrical panel, you can talk to our highly qualified electricians today. Our Cumming team is highly experienced and can provide a cost-effective and timely solution.

Prepare Your Home for an Electrical Emergency

Whether dealing with a fire or an electric shock, prompt action is necessary to limit the damage after an emergency. Fires can start from an outlet and spread to multiple areas of your property. So, you ought to prepare for the different emergencies you may encounter.

Assemble a first-aid kit in case someone is injured. You may want to have several tools, a flashlight, and a multi-purpose fire extinguisher accessible during outages.

Routinely inspect your safety systems to ensure the CO and smoke detectors are working. When you suspect an electrical fault, call a certified electrician immediately.

Do not attempt to fix outlets or frayed cables unless you have the training and expertise to perform the task. Even contact with low-voltage circuits can cause severe injuries or death. A licensed electrician can repair the electrical system while upholding the highest safety standards.

Arc Angel Electric electricians are highly trained and experienced specialists for residential electrical service in Cumming. Our licensed team will arrive punctually to assess your outlets, switches, and circuit breakers. Talk to our team for home rewiring, surge protection, subpanel upgrades, and EV charger installations. We have a reputation for timeliness, attention to detail, and unmatched craftsmanship. Call us today for free quotes for all our electrical services.

company icon